Thursday, June 11, 2009

Eco-cooking!



Ok I know that Earth day was somewhat history to many of us. But today, I’ve decided to let my stomach take a rest from all those pan mee, and talk about being GREEN. Not too long ago, we were all hyped out about being super environmental-friendly to the Earth, like using paper bags instead of plastic bags and stuff like that.

I’m thinking of eco-cooking. Alright, I admit that I do not cook much, and in a month; I prolly cook about 4 times. But think about it, every one of you cook almost everyday right? We all eat, and we talk about eating well and healthy, and believe me, it’s not just the ingredients that make us healthy, but the way we cook as well.

# 1
Ever heard of energy efficiency? The choice of kitchenware is very important.

Induction cooker waste electricity (a big example is me!) I’m not proud of it, which is why I cook 4 times a month now! :P My electric bill made a 110% jump when I used the induction cooker (that time I cook for 2+ weeks).

Try these kitchenware instead!
• Copper-based pans help reduce cook time.
• Glass and ceramic work best in an oven - save time and retain heat.
• Crock pot - slow cooking reduces wastage of energy.

# 2
Use bio-gas! The biogas plants provide clean fuel for cooking and even help prevent environmental degradation!

# 3
Don’t waste water. Think of the dry lands when you’re using water! Leave all the pots, pans, plates, etc to last minutes washing. Wash everything at one go, it’s easier and you save water. Remember to off the tap as well when you are scrubbing those plates!

# 4
I use the plant-based detergent to wash my kitchenware. The price difference from other known brands? Less than 40 cents.

# 5
Recycle. I have a few mini bins at home. One for plastic, one for glass, one for paper and another for everything organic (food for example).

And you know what? Being GREEN begins with purchasing. When you buy something, reject the use of plastic bags. You’ve got hands with fingers, use them, or bring a reusable bag instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment